Autism, ADHD, & ADD Q & A
For many parents of children with autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or attention deficit disorder (ADD), medication is not the best option. If you’re searching for a more comprehensive, long-term solution to treating your child’s autism or ADD/ADHD, Dr. Kalpana Patel, a leading environmental and integrative medicine specialist at the Environmental Health Center–Buffalo (EHC Buffalo), provides alternative and complementary treatments and therapies for these conditions. If you have a child who needs special services and you are in or around Buffalo, New York, call the office for a consultation or schedule an appointment online to learn about options other than prescription medications.
How do alternative therapies help autism and ADHD/ADD?
Autism and ADHD/ADD are a complex group of lifelong developmental disorders that can affect the quality of your life or your child’s life for the long term. As a medical and integrative health care professional, Dr. Patel believes in treating the underlying causes and contributors of the symptoms of autism and ADHD/ADD, rather than simply using medication. Although treating the underlying causes of these disorders may not “cure” you or your child, they can significantly reduce symptoms and support a better quality of life.
What are the possible contributing factors for autism, ADHD/ADD, and learning disabilities?
Since Dr. Patel takes a holistic, integrative approach to managing autism, ADHD/ADD, and learning disabilities so you or your child can function optimally, the first step is to identify any contributing factors such as:
- Environmental exposures to molds-mycotoxins and other pollutants
- Vitamin deficiencies or mineral imbalances
- Food sensitivities, inhalant allergies, or chemical sensitivities
- Allergies to artificial food additives, colorings, dyes, or flavoring agents
- Toxicity of heavy metals and toxins
- An essential fatty acid deficiency, Amino acid deficiency-Neurotransmitter imbalances
- Thyroid disorders
Since research suggests that ADHD/ADD, in particular, is the result of biochemical imbalances in the brain, diagnosing and treating these imbalances can help improve symptoms naturally, without dependency on pharmaceuticals. Similarly, learning disabilities may result from sensitivities to mold, pollens, foods, or chemicals in some children.
Dr. Patel focuses on restoring balance by treating vitamin or mineral deficiencies, removing harmful toxins, providing treatment for allergies and sensitivities, and correcting hormonal problems holistically, so treatment benefits you or your child as a whole person.
What natural treatment options are available for autism and ADHD/ADD?
Dr. Patel performs a comprehensive evaluation and then orders blood, urine, and stool testing to determine the underlying health conditions that need to be addressed to improve the outward symptoms of autism or ADHD/ADD. Depending on the results of these tests, she creates a customized treatment plan that may include any of the following:
- Nutritional counseling and dietary changes to remove offending foods and food additive agents, including dyes and flavorings
- Supplementation of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplements
- Oral or Intravenous chelation therapy to reduce total body burden of toxic metals and other toxins from the body
- Immunotherapy for multiple sensitivities, such as LDA and LDI therapy, which are the newest approaches to these type of problems
- Functional medicine evaluation and treatment, including supplements
- Exercise and physical therapy and behavior therapies (ABA) treatment
- Detox sauna with oxygen therapy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy
If you or a family member suffers from autism or ADHD/ADD or learning disabilities, and you’re not getting the results you desire with medications and more traditional treatment methods, Dr. Patel and the integrative medical professionals at the Environmental Health Center–Buffalo may be able to help restore balance. Call the office or schedule a consultation online to learn about natural, holistic treatment options.